5/11/2019 – This was our first Giardiniera made at the farm and we used mostly the white parts of the bunching onions from the garden. We repeated the use of a 6% brine as was successful for us in Houston.
- 4 C Cauliflowerettes
- ~4 C large diameter green onions cut into 1/2″-3/4″ long sections
- ~2 C carrots also cut into 1/2″ long sections with the larger ones sliced into quarters then into sections
- ~ 10 fresh Thyme sprigs about 2″-3″ long
- 6 large toes of garlic cracked and a few broken
- large pinch of red pepper flakes
Packed all into a 1/2-gallon mason jar and pressed and bounced them down. Put a glass weight on them then filled it with the 6% brine made from well water and pickling salt.