The recipe below was inspired by the “Easy Sweet and Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles” recipe at PinchAndSwirl.com. We liked it a lot and will make it again.
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp red chile paste such as sambal oelek
- 1 onion from our garden thinly sliced. She called for 4 large shallots thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumber from our garden
- 2 jalapeños diced or thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried dill – She called for two fresh sprigs that we did not have
- ½ tsp celery seed – She called for celery salt that we did not have
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- Combine vinegar through shallots in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar and salt have dissolved. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients (cucumber through turmeric). Remove onion/shallots from brine with a slotted spoon and add to the cucumber mixture.
- Transfer cucumber mixture to a clean, 1-quart canning jar. Pour brine over and refrigerate. After a couple of hours, press mixture down to compress and allow the brine to cover the pickles completely.