This was our first preserved B&B Pickles made with our cucumbers from our garden. Mary had made some great B&B refrigerator pickles. The preparations below were inspired by the one at Better Homes and Garden here and in our copy of their book.
Yield: 5 pints
- 4 quarts sliced medium cucumbers (16 medium to small cukes)
- 2 medium white onions, sliced
- ? cup pickling salt
- 6 cloves garlic, halved
- Cracked ice
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1?½ teaspoons turmeric
- 1?½ teaspoons celery seed
- We added for spice:
- 1 ½ tablespoons of Sambal Oelek
- 3 large jalapenos, seeds removed and diced
- Slice the cukes and onion with the mandoline. Combine cucumbers, onions, pickling salt, and garlic. Add 2 inches of cracked ice. Refrigerate for 3 hours; drain well in a colander.
- In a large kettle combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, turmeric, and celery seed. Heat to boiling. Add cucumber mixture. Return to boiling. Pack cucumber mixture and liquid into hot, sterilized jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace.
- Process in a boiling-water canner 10 minutes.