Below was first written on 12/4/17 and based on the smokes of pork shoulder roast (Boston butt) to date.
- The evening before, if not earlier, trim the butt removing heavy fat to 1/4″. If it is not trimmed into separate chunks–to increase the amount of bark–then diamond-scored the thin fat cap.
- Dry-brine with salt plus rub with Stubbs HPR. Cover with plastic and put into the refrigerator overnight.
- Next day smoke in the MES set at 250 with a grate temp about 240 using light blue pecan smoke.
- When the IT reaches the stall about 160 give it another hour of light blue smoke.
- Pull and wrap in foil sprinkling on creole seasoning and a 1/4 C of ACV in each foil pack. Cook in the oven at 250 until IT is 200 then test for doneness; i.e. table knife inserts like into warm butter.
- When done sprinkle on more Stubb’s HPR or black pepper or Creole Seasoning. Wrap tightly to rest for one hour.
From the August 13, 2017 smoke