- 1 or 2 overgrown yellow summer squash, ends removed and halved long ways
- 2 small spoonfuls of butter per squash half
- 1 or 2 slices of onion per squash half
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Kosher Salt
- Course ground black pepper
- Creole Seasoning
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Cut the squash in half longways. Scoop out the seeds. Brush the cavity with bacon grease and sprinkle with Creole Seasoning.
- Spray a baking pan and put the halves cut side down with chopped onion in the seed cavity. Take a sharp knife and cut 4 or 5 slits, about 1/8″ wide, in each squash half, long ways.
- Lightly brush bacon grease in the slits and on the skin side of each half.
- Drap the halves with thin-sliced bacon.
- Place 1 or 2 onion slices on each half over the bacon and sprinkle Creole Seasoning. Sprinkle the shredded parmesan cheese on the halves until they are covered.
- Place the baking pan into the oven and let cook until cheese has browned; usually 30 – 45 minutes, depending on the size of the squash.