12/16/2017 – We made this for the 2017 Texas Christmas Family meal. It turned out very rich and everyone seemed to pick up a piece so when Monday morning came around there was not much left to have with coffee.
“This is my mom’s dense, excellent, and definitely unhealthy banana nut bread recipe. It’s always completely gone in minutes. This is great at parties, but hazardous at home. HEALTH WARNINGS: EBNB may be habit-forming. A very flexible recipe that will accommodate changes based on what you have on hand. Use any type of fat in place of the butter, such as shortening or oil. It works with either brown or white sugar too.”
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups white sugar
2 cups mashed overripe bananas
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9×5 inch loaf pans.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter or margarine and sugar until smooth. Stir in the bananas, eggs, and walnuts until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir just until blended. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf, comes out clean.
- Let the loaves cool in the pans for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely.
- Wrap in aluminum foil to keep in the moisture. Ideally, refrigerate the loaves for 2 hours or more before serving.