6/3/2023 – This Q turned out very good. It differed from the recent ones as it used a slower pre-smoke and a spicer sauce. The additional smoke time due to a lower temp start followed by a sauce with 6POGS made a really good Q. The spice was about right for Alabama although it was weak for Texas.
- Trimmed thighs quarters of fat and excess skin. Salted both sides lightly to dry brine, sprinkled on Creole Poultry Seasoning under and over the skin. Put back into the refrigerator for about 3 hours.
- Premixed 1 cup of So-Good BBQ sauce with 1 tbsp of 6POGS Rub and 1/4 cup of ACV.
- Preheated Recteq to 255°F.
- Placed chicken in Recteq and smoked to an internal temp of 155 in the largest leg.
- Painted on the blend of So-Good BBQ sauce and increased Recteq to 300°F.
- Painted on the sauce 2 times as the IT rose.
- Cooked for about 30 minutes until it reached an internal temp of 185°F in the largest leg.
- Removed chicken from Recteq, covered tightly with aluminum foil, and allowed it to rest for about 20 minutes.