Makes 5 tablespoons of dry rub, enough for a 10 pound roast.
- 2 tablespoons course ground black pepper:
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried rosemary leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder
Want the rub to be large grainy pieces to catch the smoke.
4/3/2016 – Used it on the Beef Chuck Roast this date. I liked the way it seared with the rosemary smell but after 6 hours in the smoker there was a dark crust although the rub flavor was not noticeable–as you would expect after that long in the smoke.
Based on a recipe for Cow Crust by Meathead Goldwyn at http://amazingribs.com