This was our second preserved B&B Pickles made with our cucumbers from our garden. The recipe below was based on our first batch that was inspired by the recipe at Better Homes and Garden here.
We liked the first batch but they were sweeter than necessary. This batch used 2 cups of sugar as did the first but has more cucumbers–therefore less sugar. See NOTE below.
They were also not as crispy as we would have liked. This time we added Mrs. Wages Xtra Crunch calcium chloride granules.
We also thought they needed more garlic. Added more and did not remove the cloves as per the original recipe.
NOTE that the ingredients in the original recipe and our first batch were for 16 cups of cucumbers — not 16 cucumbers. As we prepared this we worked towards the ingredients being roughly 33% more than the first batch as we had 24 cucumbers and thought the ingredients were for 16. Therefore, the vinegar, salt, and other spices are less than anticipated by the original recipe.
- 24 sliced medium to small cucumbers [see the note above as this should have been 24 cups of cucumbers]
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced thin then cut in quarters
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 10 cloves garlic, halved
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 heaping tablespoons of Sambal Oelek
- 5 average jalapenos from our garden, seeds removed and diced
- Mrs. Wages Xtra Crunch calcium chloride granules
- Slice the cukes and onion with the mandoline. Combine cucumbers, onions, pickling salt, and garlic. Add 2 inches of cracked ice. Refrigerate for 3 hours; drain well in a colander.
- In a large kettle combine sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, turmeric, and celery seed. Heat to boiling. Add cucumber mixture and jalapenos. Return to boiling.
- Pack cucumber mixture and liquid into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add to each packed jar Mrs. Wages Xtra Crunch calcium chloride granules per the directions.
- Process in a boiling-water canner 10 minutes.
If the seasoning is good…
Weight 24 medium to small cucumbers and each ingredient to be able to duplicate it. Then, determine the concentration of salt and vinegar in the original recipe and use that much.