1/17/2021 – This was Mary’s first Broccoli Cheddar Soup and it was GREAT. She said the fresh Brocolli from the garden helped. This recipe was inspired by the one here.
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped small
- 2 stalks celery, chopped small
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Ina’s chicken broth
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10-15 small heads of broccoli with stems that were not tough, finely chopped. From our garden today.
- 3 very small carrots from Mary’s Garden, grated
- 1 large pinch of our cayenne pepper flakes (next time add more)
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 3 cups pre-shredded “extra sharp” cheddar, plus more for garnish
- In a large cast iron, enamel lined, pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and celery and cook until soft, 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and let cook while continuously whisking.
- Slowly add chicken broth and season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper flakes.
- Stir in broccoli and carrots. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Let simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Slowly add Half & Half and bring to a simmer, then stir in cheddar.
- Season with salt and pepper and top with more cheddar and green onions.
This made two large bowls full for our dinner and left over for one full size serving.