4/6/2020 – This dish is truly our creation and not inspired by anything other than we still have half a refrigerator of cabbage and some chicken legs that need to be cooked. Mary liked the idea of chicken cooked with the cabbage and proceeded to create a great dish in her large blue enameled dutch oven.
Ingredients & Process:
- 10 large chicken legs, skinless & seasoned with 6POGS & our Creole Poultry Seasoning.
- Bacon pieces sauteed with a large onion, chopped coarsely, and red pepper flakes.
- Brown chicken legs in the saute pan then remove.
- bacon grease as needed to saute 3 carrots and 2 stalks of celery cut into 1/2″ pieces.
- about 1-1/2 C leftover precooked rice that needs to be used.
- 1 cup of Panko bread crumbs
- Ina’s chicken stock as needed
- 2 average heads of our homegrown cabbage chopped
- Let it “cook down a little bit” then return the chicken.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Served topped with fresh green onions from the Yard Garden.
- Added our corn from the freezer and served as a leftover.
- Add corn to the original mix
- Add cabbage closer to the end of the cooking time so it maintains its firmness; i.e. does not become mushy.