Reviewed various recipes for pickling spices and using advice and ingredients arrived at the recipe below we think we will like. Used it in our first-ever pickled pepperoncini. The peppers are the larger Italian ones and not the smaller Greek variety.
- Enough peppers from the garden when sliced to fill three pint jars:
- Whole garlic clove lightly crushed in each
- 3″ of a fresh red cayenne pepper from the garden in each pint jar.
- Well water to white vinegar at 50:50 mix
- 1/4 tsp of Ball’s Pickle Crisp Granules in each filled pint jar
Spice Mix Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons dill seed
- 2 tablespoons allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes from our garden
- 6 bay leaves, crumbled/chopped
- Prepare a one-half recipe of the Spice Mix above. [Did not want a lot of leftovers.]
- Slice the peppers into ¼” – ½” wide rings.
- Add the peppers, the crush garlic clove, and the piece of fresh red cayenne pepper to the hot sterilized pint jars.
- Add 2 tsp of the spice mix to each jar
- Pour in very hot water/vinegar brine.
- Add the pickle crisp.
- Process in boiling water for 10 minutes.
9/20/2020 – First try and they were ok. Not great as the flavor was a bit blah and the texture was almost too soft.
12/14/2020 – We have been eating from a jar for a couple of weeks and the flavor is ok but the skins are a bit tough. Next year plant the smaller Greek variety.