This recipe is Mary’s version of Chef Elliott’s Cuisine & Catering Ingredients for Cajun Shrimp & Grits as posted on his FaceBook page.
1 lb. of large shrimp, peeled, deveined – Used fresh gulf shrimp
1 lb. Andouille Sausage, sliced on the diagonal 1/2 inch. Sausage was from Bergeron’s in Louisiana
1 tbsp. creole seasoning or seasoning salt. Used No MSG Cajun Seasoning bought in Scott Louisiana at The Best Stop Supermarket.
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 stick of butter
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
1 small red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
I added red pepper flakes
For the Grits:
1 c. grits
1 c. water
1 c. milk
1 c. beef or chicken broth, low sodium + extra to thin grits as they cook-I used Turkey stock that we had made over the weekend.
1 stick of butter
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp. creole seasoning
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
Added Green onions for topping
To Prepare the Grits:
- In a large pot bring all liquids to boil, add butter and seasonings.
- Slowly stir in grits while whisking nonstop for about two minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook grits, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.
- Adding extra broth as needed to keep the grits thin.
- Add cheese and whisk well, add more broth if needed.
To Prepare the Shrimp:
- To prepare the shrimp, peel and devein shrimp, season with all the spices and set aside. I prepared the spices early in the day and after preparing the shrimp, seasoned them and put them in the fridge til it was time to fix dinner.
- In a large saute pan add butter and olive oil over medium high heat, add all the vegetables, except garlic and saute for 5 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add andouille sausage and saute about 10-15 minutes, until browned. Add shrimp and cook about 3-4 minutes are until no longer pink.
- Serve on top of grits topped with a little more cheese and green onions.