12/23/2022 – This was a very good soup. The ingredients were inspired by the recipe here but the directions came from a recipe here. Note we made a different potato soup recipe—a Tuscan version—the next day and it was also great.
1 bunch scallions
1 (12-oz.) pkg. bacon, roughly chopped
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1?4-inch pieces (7 to 8 cups)
2 cups chopped yellow onion (from 1 large onion)
3 tablespoons butter
3 small garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 cups chicken broth
8 ounces white Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 ounces yellow Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1?2 cup), for topping
- Melt butter in a stockpot over medium heat; add onions, bacon, and bay leaf. Cook and stir until onions are nearly transparent, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into the pot; add potatoes, flour, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir sour cream into soup; cook another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add a dollop of sour creme to the center of the bowl of soup.
- Sprinkle grated cheese around the sour creme.
- Sprinkly green onion bits on to of the sour creme.