Inspired by Chef Folse here.
6 thin-cut, bone-in pork chops
2 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
salt and cracked black pepper to taste
granulated garlic to taste
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced celery
½ cup diced red bell peppers
¼ cup minced garlic
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup petite diced tomatoes
4½ cups chicken stock
3 cups long grain rice
½ cup sliced green onions
¼ cup chopped parsley
- Season pork chops to taste using salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
- In a 7-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown pork chops on both sides then remove and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven with pan drippings, sauté onions, celery, bell peppers and minced garlic 3–5 minutes or until vegetables are wilted, stirring often.
- Mix in smoked sausage and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Blend in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a rolling boil then stir in rice. Return mixture to a rolling boil then reduce heat to low. Season to taste with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
- Add green onions and parsley, stirring to incorporate. Carefully place pork chops on top of mixture and gently press into liquid.
- Cover and cook 45 minutes. Do not stir or remove lid.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit 15 minutes before serving.