2 cups milk
1 cup uncooked regular grits
1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
2 pounds large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon canola oil
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons Asian Sriracha hot chili sauce
1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
- Bring milk and 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; gradually whisk in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle Creole seasoning over shrimp.
- Sauté garlic in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 30 seconds. Add shrimp, and sauté 3 minutes or until shrimp are almost pink.
- Add chopped green onions, chopped fresh cilantro, lemon zest and Sriracha hot chili sauce and sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir potatoes, shredded smoked Gouda cheese, butter, salt, and freshly ground pepper into grits. Serve shrimp mixture over sweet potato grits.
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs