8/14/2018 Cafe Reconcile’s White Beans and Shrimp :: Recipes:: Camellia Brand
2 pounds Camellia Brand Great Northern Beans
4 cups chopped onion
2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped parsley
3 – 4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon thyme
Black pepper, to taste
Dash cayenne pepper
Dash white pepper
Salt, to taste
Chicken stock or water, enough to cover beans
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 cups heavy cream
Hot white rice
1. Cover beans with water, and soak overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Drain beans.
3. In a large heavy pot, combine beans, vegetables, seasonings, and stock or water.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 2 – 3 hours, or until beans are tender.
5. Add shrimp and cream, and simmer until shrimp are cooked and pink, about 5 minutes.
6. Serve over hot white rice.
Café Reconcile is a nonprofit restaurant, located in the severely distressed Central City neighborhood of New Orleans, which serves as the primary training ground for students seeking to acquire skills in the food service industry. Featuring soul-filled local dishes and some of the city’s lowest prices, Café Reconcile is a destination lunch spot for a wide cross-section of New Orleanians as well as visitors from all across the country.