7/23/2017 – Followed the recipe below that was inspired by the DL’ed copy of The Ferment Cookbook by Nourished Essentials. Our changes are in after the dash in the ingredient list.
Carrot Sticks With Southern Twist
1 to 1-1/2 pounds of carrots(peeled and cut into sticks) – We cut up enough to fill the quart jar
Two handfuls of fresh cilantro leaves – Used one handful
1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1 tablespoon of sea salt
3 cloves of garlic peeled and crushed – used several large cloves and several small
- Prepare the brine by combining the salt into the warm water so it dissolves. Set aside to cool
- Place the garlic cloves, cumin seeds and the cilantro in the bottom of the mason jar
- Place the carrot sticks on top so that they all ?t vertically.
- Pour brine over the carrot sticks leaving about 2 inches of headroom from the top of the jar
- Tighten the jar with the Easy Fermenter lid and place at room temperature for about 7 to 18 days
- Once the vegetables are tasting to your liking transfer to cold storage.
8/2/2017 – Eight days fermenting. Tried two sticks in my lunch. Very crunchy and a bit of ferment taste. Did not appear to have fermented all the way through.
8/5/2017 – 13 days fermenting. Stick is not so crunchy and had a better flavor. Needs longer.
8/19/2017 – After numerous times trying these they were never really tasty. They were crunchy but did not have any flavor. Not sure how to fix it.