12/31/2019 – Made this minutes after pulling the radishes in the garden. Tasted several pieces and found them very spicy. This jar was made without them being peeled.
1/14/2020 – Opened the jar and found it had a funky smell. Removed one of the spears and the smell was still funky. Tasted a small piece enough to crunch it and the taste was off. Spit it out and threw it all away. The spears did seem to have a good crunch so the salt content must be ok.
- Washed them with the hose outside, cut off the tips and greens.
- Inside, scrubbed them with the rough side of a sponge. Cut them into 3/8″ thick, 3-sided spears
- Emptied a quart bottle that had a little bit of Pepperoncini and saved some of the brine. Did not rinsed out the jar. [Maybe this is why it went bad.]
- Packed them into the quart jar leaving about 1″ headspace.
- Put in about 1-2 tablespoons of the saved brine. Fill the jar with fresh 6% brine made with canning salt and well water.
- Added a glass weight and a plastic fermenting lid with a metal ring.
Peeled off the outer layer as shown by Maggie this past weekend and found she was right. The inner core was sweeter and not at all spicy. A piece without the outer layer peeled off, that was next to the part that was peeled, was spicy. Quite a contrast.