12/4/2017 – First-ever fermented tomato salsa. This was a total fail as everything was mushy. It has promise if more salt will keep at least some of the ingredients firm.
1 medium onion
1 medium pablano pepper
Juice of 1 lime
5 vine ripened tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic
3 medium serrano peppers
Handful of fresh cilantro
2% kosher salt for the 1183 gm of the above that is 23 gm of salt.
- Chop the onion, green pepper, cilantro, and tomatoes
- Mince the garlic and serranos.
- Mix all of the ingredients together including the salt.
- Placed in a 1/2 gallon mason jar packing down with the handle to the metal meat tenderizer to release some of the liquid. Placed the Easy Fermenter glass weight
- If required add water to ensure salsa is covered.
- Placed Easy Fermenter Lid and allow to ferment for 2-3 days.
12/12/2017 – 8 days of fermentation – Flavor was ok as not salty and had a little heat but tomatoes were mush and all other veggies were soft. Definitely needed more salt. Surprising that three serranos did not create more heat.