12/7/2019 – This is an experiment using our bok choy and mustard greens from the garden with store-bought cauliflower. The intent was to make it spicy and hence the 2 teaspoons of cayenne flakes from our garden. We tried some after a week and again on 12/23/2019 and it was very good and getting better. 12/31/2019 finished the first jar with red flakes floating and spicy good.
- Bok Choy, chopped – target was 1 part
- Mustard Greens, chopped- target was 1 part
- Cauliflower, broken into small chunks- target was 1 part
- Carrot, cut into 1/4″ thick coins
- Garlic cloves whole
- 2 tsp/Qt. cayenne pepper flakes from our garden
- 6% Brine
- Rolled the 4-6 bok choy leaves/stalks and sliced down the roll then chopped into 3/4-1″ disks. Did the same with the mustard.
- Photo shows how the other was prepared and the amounts that filled the 3 quart jars. The 1 tsp of cayenne was added to the bottom of the jar and the 2nd to the top.
- Once we stuffed the jars we needed more so the final quantity was about 6 more bok choy leaves chopped, a small handful of cauliflower, and another carrot in addition to what is in the photo.
- Mary put a folded bok choy leaf in each jar so the smaller stuff would not float to the top. Then, put a glass weight on each.
- Mixed a 6% brine and filled them to the shoulder.