I helped Mary fix the fried chicken for Easter 2013 lunch and below is what she did. So far she tells Kelley it is a secret so don’t tell anyone I posted it here.
The Day before:
- Clean chicken – legs and thighs by trimming excess skin and fat. (I do this part);
- Season the day before with: kosher salt; fresh ground black pepper; cayenne; and granulated garlic.
The Next Day:
- Fry bacon (for other dishes) in a 120+ year old Erie skillet. Pour off most of the grease to use in corn bread or … [this is not a mandatory step but it does help];
- Make a egg-milk wash that has a lot of egg;
- Dunk the chicken into the egg wash;
- Dredge the wet chicken in flour seasoned with salt and fresh ground black pepper;
- Fry in corn oil.