12/26/2019 – Maggie made these for us and Peggy’s crew during her and Jeff’s Christmas visit. The shrimp were tender and crunchy. Maggie said her sister taught her this method. They were great and clearly restaurant quality and style.
- Shrimp, 16-20 count, headed, deveined, and deeply butterflied.
- Salt and white pepper
- Corn Starch
- 2 eggs
- Panko coating
- Peanut Oil
- Prepare the shrimp by gently breaking down the butterflied body with a knife to flatten them to about 1/8″ thick.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the shrimp
- On a baking sheet make a pile of corn starch and a pile of Panko
- Put both sides of each shrimp lightly in the corn starch shaking off any excess.
- Dip the shrimp with corn starch into the beatened egg.
- Put the wet shrimp into the panko breading patting each side. Put each one on a baking sheet to rest. [She prepared them to this point in advance of frying. The prepared shrimp rested for at least 30 minutes.]
- Deep-fried in peanut oil (not smoking) that was 3″-4″ deep for 1 minute then moved them individually to a baking sheet. By the time all had been removed, she put the first ones back in the hot oil until they were a light yellow color.