4/4/2022 – This has been a favorite for years but we just now realized it is not on this website.
[Followup on 11/24/2023 – For Thanksgiving 2023, we made a double batch for Wednesday evening when Hughes and Leonards had arrived. For that cook we measured the ingredients more so than usual; in particular to get the ratio of the Trinity to be 2:1:1. We think that cook was better than past ones but must also acknowledge it included more meat than usual.]
- Large chicken leg quarters: trim fat and extra skin; separate legs from thighs; dry brined for at least 24 hours.
- Seasoned the chicken with Kit Whol’s Creole Seasoning and fried it.
- Large can of Blue Runner Jambalaya Mix
- 12″ hot pork sausage, cut into 3/4″ lengths
- Tasso made with 6POGS plus cayenne and smoked for 4 hours
- 2 medium onions chopped into large pieces
- 8 ribs of celery, chopped into 1/4 inch lengths
- four large garlic cloves, chopped small
- 2 bell peppers chopped into large pieces, min. 1/2″
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Season the chicken liberally with Kit’s Creole Seasoning.
- Cook it to 165 in a heavy cast iron pot. Do not overcrowd the chicken. It will require 3-4 batches. Remove from the pot as it is done. Remove from the bone and cut into large bite-size pieces.
- Once the chicken is done, add to the pot with the oil and giblets, half of the onions and celery to the pot and stir until it is beginning to wilt. Then add the other half of both.
- Add the bell peppers and continue to stir until it is hot and wilted.
- Add the garlic, tasso, and sausage. Stir until the sausage is beginning to render.
- Add the can of Blue Runner
- Add 1-2 T of black pepper and salt to taste.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours.