8/7/2019 – Mary made this gumbo easily and quickly. It was GREAT. The Cajun Jewel Okra* fresh from our garden surely helped.
- 1 12 oz. (large) can of Blue Runner Seafood Gumbo Base
- 1 average bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks of celery
- Bacon grease and butter
- 8 small tender pods of Cajun Jewel Okra from our garden
- Khol’s Creole Seasoning
- Andouille sausage (1.5″x6″) cubed. From Chris’s Cajun Speciality Meat Market in Metairie LA.
- Shrimp, shelled and deveined
How she did it.
- Saute the trinity in bacon grease and butter in a castiron skillet only until slightly tender; i.e. still crunchy.
- Add creole seasoning and stir to blend it in.
- Add can of gumbo base and okra and simmer for maybe 30 minutes
- Add andouille. Simmer a few minutes to heat the sausage and meld the seasoning as the addition of the andouille was not conceived until late in the process. [Otherwise, it would have gone in earlier. But maybe later kept the flavors distinct.]
- Add shrimp
Served beside long-grain white rice cooked with some of the broth from the gumbo to flavor it.
*“Local favorite in Cajun country since the 1950s.”