8/10/2019 – Mary made this etouffee easily and quickly like she did the gumbo a few days ago. It was GREAT. The Cajun Jewel Okra* fresh from our garden surely helped.
- 1 12 oz. (large) can of Blue Runner Etouffee Base
- 3 small bell peppers from our garden
- 2 medium onions–about 2.5″ diameter
- 2 large stalks of celery
- Bacon grease and butter
- 8 small tender pods of Cajun Jewel Okra from our garden
- Khol’s Creole Seasoning
- Andouille sausage (1.5?x6?) cubed. From Chris’s Cajun Speciality Meat Market in Metairie LA.
- Shrimp, shelled
How she did it.
- Saute the trinity in bacon grease and butter in a castiron skillet only until slightly tender; i.e. still crunchy.
- Add creole seasoning and stir to blend it in.
- Add can of base, andouille, and okra and simmer for maybe 30 minutes
- Add shrimp
Served beside long-grain white rice cooked with some of the broth from the gumbo to flavor it.