8/19/2020 and 6/17/2021 – After considering various recipes, we mixed a few batches of Mediterranean meat seasoning rubs for use on grilled chicken. After a couple of cooks, we made this, shook it moderately on dry-brined thighs, and grilled them on the little gas grill. They were very good. This post also included the recipe for No. 4 made in June 2021 that is a bit spicier version of No. 3.
INGREDIENTS – No. 3
- 3 tablespoons ground rosemary
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
We trimmed and dry brined the thighs from 10 lbs. of leg quarters. They dry brined for several hours. The thighs were then rubbed with extra virgin olive oil and the rub shook on. Then “marinated” in it for about 3 hours.
Grilled them on the little gas grill. They were very good.
9/7/2020 – As we still have some of the first blend and it could be hotter, we added 2 teaspoons of ground white pepper. Given how much was left the intent is that amount would be equivalent to 1 tablespoon in the original recipe.
Shook it liberally on chicken thighs and grilled them on the Weber. They were VERY good. The heat level is about right. Still want to try more rosemary and thyme but need to adjust peppers up to keep the balance.
9/19/2020 – Mary shook some on thighs about 3 hours before I grilled them on the tailgate SS gas grill. They were as good as those grilled over coals on the Weber. The spice blend in very nice. The next day we each had a thigh cold for lunch. The seasoning is good.
INGREDIENTS – No. 4
6/17/2021 – The version is essencially the same as No. 3 with the white pepper but this has in addition ½ teaspoon of Cayenne pepper. We added that as the primary reference source during our initial research was the recipe by TheMediterraneanDish.com and she included cayenne.
- 3 tablespoons ground rosemary – 12 gm
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin – 15 gm
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander – 3 gm
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano – 3 gm
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon – 6 gm
- 1 tablespoon dry thyme – 3 gm
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper – 8 gm
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika – 7 gm
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt – 7 gm
- 1 tablespoon white pepper – 8 gm
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper – 0.86 gm per https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/food-volume-to-weight