8/14/2018 New Orleans-Style Blackeye Peas :: Recipes :: Camellia Brand
1 (1-pound) package Camellia Brand Blackeye Peas
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound pickled pork, cubed to ½ inch
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
10 cups lightly salted water or chicken broth
2 bay leaves
Salt, pepper and/or hot sauce, to taste
Hot cooked rice
Hot buttered French bread
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1. Rinse and sort peas. (Optional: Soak beans using your preferred method.)
2. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add pickled pork; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Add onions,
bell pepper, celery, garlic and tomato paste; sauté 15 minutes. Add water or broth and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
3. Add blackeye peas, stir well and return to a low boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer 1½ to 2 hours or until peas are
tender, stirring occasionally.
4. If a creamier texture is desired, use the back of a spoon to mash up to one-fourth of the beans and stir well. Adjust
seasonings to taste.
5. Serve over hot cooked rice with hot buttered French bread. Garnish with chopped green onions.