9/15/2019 – This recipe was inspired by one at TheSouthernLadyCooks.com although it is quite different. We liked it but thought it would be good with tomatoes–particularly Rotel. So, when it was warmed up Mary added a can and it was even better. The Rotel is included in the recipe below.
- 1 lb. gound meat
- 2 links of Rouses’ fresh jalapeno pork sausage, remove casings
- 3 cups fresh okra from our garden, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1 average yellow onion chopped coarsely
- 6 red potatoes; peeled enough to remove unsightly places then cubed into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- Kit’s Creole Seasoning
- 3/4 to 1 cup oil — bacon drippings are best
- 2 small cans of Rotel tomatoes
- Cayenne if needed
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- Panko Bread Crumbs
- Brown meat and set aside.
- Mix together cornmeal and creole seasoning
- Combine okra, onion, potatoes, and green pepper
- Combine the vegetables and cornmeal mixture.
- Heat oil in a large stainless steel skillet and fry until browned and potatoes are done.
- Pour in Rotel and reheat.
- Poured everything into baking dish and sprinkle on cheeses, mixing slightly.
- Cover with Panko Bread Crumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes in our convection oven.