2/14/2021 – This Valentine’s Dinner turned out well with Mary raving about how good it was. It was based on our similar prep on 1/26/2016 here that was inspired by Chef Elliot. This cook simplifies the seasoning by relying on Kit Whol’s Creole Seasoning. The dish is very rich and is one of our Favorites.
For the Shrimp
- 1 lb. of large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 lb. sausage, sliced on the diagonal 1/2 inch. The sausage was the hot pork sausage from So. Alabama Custom Meats.
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, chopped small
- 1 bell pepper, diced. Used frozen from our garden.
- 1 small red onion, chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pinches of cayenne pepper flakes from our garden
For the Grits
- 1 cup grits
- 1½ cups water
- ½ stick of butter
- 1 cup Half & Half
- 1 cup Swanson’s chicken broth
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp. creole seasoning
- Green onions for topping
To Prepare the Grits:
- In a large pot bring the butter, seasonings, and all liquids to boil.
- Slowly stir in grits stirring nonstop for at least two minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook grits, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.
- Adding extra broth as needed to keep the grits thin.
- Add cheese and whisk well, add more broth if needed.
To Prepare the Shrimp:
- Peel and devein shrimp, season with the Creole seasoning.
- Before starting the grits, in the large covered saute pan, add butter, olive oil, and the two pinches of pepper flakes over low heat to melt the butter and warm the peppers.
- Add sausage and saute about 10-15 minutes, until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Add all the vegetables, except garlic, and saute until they are wilted; i.e. about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add shrimp and cook about 3-4 minutes until they are no longer pink and the edges curling.