12/28/2018 – Mary was inspired by the recipe for paella on page 144 of our copy of The Cash and Carter Family Cookbook. It is a bit different but similar and was VERY good. The ingredients below include some struck out that they used and we did not have.
6 chicken leg quarters, cut into pieces with skin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon paprika (use hot paprika if you prefer an extra kick)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped hot and spicy sausage
1 Spanish or white onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup chopped 1/2″ yellow bell pepper – did not have red
1 cup chopped 1/2″ green bell pepper
1 large bunch Italian parsley chopped from the garden, divided
4 cups Spanish rice with saffron – Used about 2 cups of rice because of the pan size
2 tablespoons salted butter
6 cups chicken broth – used about 4 cups – reserve some to add if needed
1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes drained
4 cup green peassubstituted frozen corn for the green peas because we had corn and no frozen peas
Pinch of Spanish saffron
6 Littleneck Clams
8 ounces fresh shrimp, heads on or headless, deveined, and peeled
2 cold-water lobster tails, removed from the shell and deveined
8 ounces sliced calamari
- Coated the chicken with the seasonings and fried it in bacon grease and some oil. Set aside.
- Browned the sausage. Set aside.
- Sauteed the vegetables in the drippings of the fried chicken and sausage.
- Add the rice to the vegetables and cook til the rice is browned.
- Add diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook for a couple of minutes and then add back the chicken and sausage.
- When almost done added the shrimp.
- Turned off and let sit until we were ready to eat.