- Bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves from the garden, chopped. Reserve some for garnish.
- 1 10-oz. can ROTEL Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies, drained
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 4 cups water, warm
- 1 pound jumbo Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined. Wet brine for about 2 hours in about 3 cups of cold water with 1 tbsp of Kosher Salt.
- 1 pound of boneless chicken thighs, dry brined for a couple of hours then cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 chunks of our Tasso
- 4 teaspoons oregano, separated
- 1 pkg frozen mixed veggies, thawed
- Lemon wedges, for serving. From the garden then frozen but served thawed. Also, garnish with the reserved parsley.
- Combine 1 tablespoon paprika and 2 teaspoons oregano in a small bowl. Rub the spice mix all over the chicken. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate seasoned chicken for 1 hour.
- Heat olive oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat.
- Saute the sausage until browned; remove and reserve.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides. Add salt and freshly ground pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.
- In the same pan, saute the onions, garlic, tasso, and parsley in olive oil. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on medium heat. Then add the Rotel and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit and the flavors meld.
- Add the chorizo, smoked sausage, and chicken. Fold in the saffron rice and stir-fry to coat the grains. Pour in water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid.
- Add the shrimp, stirring them into the rice. Give the paella a good shake to settle it down and let it simmer, without stirring, until the seafood is cooked and rice is barely done; i.e. about 15 minutes.
- When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for 40 to 80 seconds, until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom.
- Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.