8/20/2019 – This recipe was inspired by the one here. It made 5 pints. on 9/1/2019 we opened one and found the peppers were: a little too soft; strong vinegar tone; spice level could be ok. This remains posted for purposes of lessons learned with suggestions in italics..
- 5+ cups sweet banana peppers cut into 1/2″ rings
- In 3 pints there was: 3 cups of water + 3 cups of white vinegar + 3 tbsp pickling salt
- In 2 pints there was: what remained of the first brine plus 1 cup of water plus 1 cup of ACV plus 1 tbsp of pickling salt.
In each pint jar:
- ~1″ sq of dried bay leaf per pint
- 1 large crushed garlic clove per pint
- 10 peppercorns per pint. [Red pepper flakes with the peppercorns could have been good.]
- 1/4 rounded teaspoon of Mrs. Wages’ Xtra Crunch. [Should have used at least twice as much.]
- Fill the jars with the peppers, bay leaves, garlic, and peppercorns.
- Bring the water, vinegar, and salt to a boil.
- Pour the boiling liquid over the peppers.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.