6/7/2020 – We made the relish below using many ingredients from the garden. It was inspired by the recipe here.
3 pounds cucumbers, seeded and chopped from the garden
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
3 to 4 jalapenos, seeded & chopped
1/4 cup fleur de sel sea salt [we only used this fancy salt as it was the only sea salt we had and the original recipe called for sea salt.]
3 cups white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar [original recipe called for 3/4 cup]
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons dill seed
3 teaspoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons celery seed
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
4 pint-sized canning jars, lids, and rings
- Chop the cucumber by hand and the onion in the grid slammer then chop the onion into squares.
- Put the cucumber and onions into a plastic bowl and sprinkle with the salt. Stir well and allow to stand for 1 hour.
- Drain the cucumber mixture in a colander; rinse with cold water and drain well.
- In an enameled cast iron pan, bring vinegar, sugar, garlic, dill seed, mustard seed, celery seed, and turmeric to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the drained cucumber and onion mixture, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper, and return to a low boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process the jars in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.