Taqueria-Style Pickled Jalapenos And Carrots
- First, slice 4-5 jalapeno peppers and 2 medium sized peeled carrots into 1/4 inch slices. Discard the stems.
- Next, heat a bit of olive oil in a large pan to medium heat. Add the jalapeno and carrot slices. Cook them, stirring a bit, for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano and 1 teaspoon black peppercorns. Stir and cook another minute, until you can smell the garlic.
- Add 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon sea salt, and 1 tablespoon honey or sugar (optional, for a touch of sweet).
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool, then transfer to a jar along with the vinegar and water pickling liquid and seal.