9/2/2019 – Following the advice found at canning forums, as extracted here, I prepared two pints of fresh okra per the following. One of the jars did not seal so it was put into the refrigerator. On 10/28/2019 we opened the second jar whose lid was still indented–it had maintained its vacuum. The okra was crispy and the garlic was crunchy. This is definitely one to try again.
- Cut stems from okra
- Dipped the two pint jars into boiling water along with the lids
- Boiled 1.5 cups of ACV and 1.5 cups of water with 6 garlic fingers
- Filled the jars with the okra pods and added:
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes;
- a scant 1/4 tsp of kosher salt, and
- 1/8 tsp of Mrs. Wage’s Xtra Crunch.
- Tilted the jars back and forth 3 or 4 times to mix the ingredients
- Applied lids and bands and wait and see.
9/22/2019 – Tasted the jar from the refrig. The flavor was good and the crunch was great–almost like a carrot.
On 10/28/2019 we opened the second jar whose lid was still indented–it had maintained its vacuum. The okra was crispy and the garlic was crunchy.
Next Time – To improve the chances of pulling a vacuum, fill very hot jars with warmed okra–presoaked in hot tap water–and pour in boiling liquid.