11/9/2018 – First made this for Mark and Sandra’s first visit to the renovated farm this date and everyone liked it. It was inspired by the recipe here. The cake made for the 2018 and 2019 family Thanksgiving feast was a big hit but thankfully there was a lot leftover as there were many desserts.
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
4 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon salt
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup chopped Fisher Pecans
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, eggs, sugars, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Whisk until combined and smooth.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture and use your hands to gently press it into the batter.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with chopped pecans and evenly drizzle the melted butter over the entire cake.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. At this point, check your cake. If the top is becoming too brown, cover the cake with a piece of foil for the remaining baking time. Continue baking an additional 10-20 minutes or until set.
- Remove pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Chill for a few hours before serving.
Serve topped with real whipped cream or Chantilly Cream and chopped pecans. Frank brought Chantilly Cream made with Almond Extract to the 2019 Thanksgiving meal.