6/5/2019 – The recipe below was inspired by the “Easy Sweet and Spicy Bread and Butter Pickles” recipe at PinchAndSwirl.com. We liked it a lot and will make it again.
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tsp red chile paste such as sambal oelek
- 1 onion from our garden thinly sliced. She called for 4 large shallots thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumber from our garden
- 2 jalapeños diced or thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp dried dill – She called for two fresh sprigs that we did not have
- ½ tsp celery seed – She called for celery salt that we did not have
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- Combine vinegar through shallots in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar and salt have dissolved. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients (cucumber through turmeric). Remove onion/shallots from brine with a slotted spoon and add to the cucumber mixture.
- Transfer cucumber mixture to a clean, 1-quart canning jar. Pour brine over and refrigerate. After a couple of hours, press mixture down to compress and allow the brine to cover the pickles completely.
7/20/2019 – We finished the last jar and really like them. The jalapeno slices had fallen to the bottom but did not taste hot at all. They tasted liked the pickles and no one would have known they were jalapenos. This will be made again.