2/17/2021 – This great entree is truly a Mary & Tom Original stemming from having a lot of cabbage from the garden and chicken thighs thawed out. So, we decided to put the chicken over the cabbage sliced into 1″ thick pieces, add bacon on top of the chicken, then roast it. That sounded great and it turned out that way.
- 6 large chicken thighs or enough to fill a large cast-iron skillet. The skillet in these photos is a No. 11.
- Creole Poultry Seasoning for the chicken
- Medium cabbage sliced into 1″ thick rounds from top to bottom. Removed the core.
- Medium yellow onion sliced into 1/2″ thick rounds.
- 4 cloves of garlic sliced thin [not chopped]
- bacon grease
- Preheat the oven to 400°;
- lightly brown the seasoned thighs in bacon grease and olive oil and remove;
- add the cabbage to fill the bottom of the hot skillet;
- spread the onions and garlic on top of the cabbage;
- add the wine to create steam and let it begin to cook down;
- after about 10 minutes put each thigh on top of each wilting cabbage round and among the onions and garlic;
- put a thick-sliced piece of bacon on top of each thigh. The bacon used here was Ziegler’s bacon-ends.
- roast in the convection oven until the internal temp of the thighs is at least 165°- about an hour.