Inspired by his recipe here. Turned out very good. Rich and a bit spicy with a lot of flavor. Note the changes from his recipe due to the time allowed and company. Well worth trying again as could become the favorite.
Ingredients for Shrimp – [Mark outs and comments are from the first try on 12/16/2018]
1/4 1/2 cup raw smoked bacon, chopped rough
shallots, green onions from Mary’s garden, spears and white minced
2 4 cloves garlic, chopped small
1/2 cup 2 gurgles and a slug of dry white wine
jumbo Gulf shrimp ( 10-12 15-20 count) peeled and deveined
1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon fresh 2 round tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup sliced green onions — [forgot to chop and put on top when served]
1 cup roasted shiitake 2 white mushrooms roughly diced
1/2 stick butter, room temperature
Ingredients for Grits – made them per the box adding crush red pepper flakes. The below would have been better
2 cups water
2 cups whole milk
1 stick salted butter
1 1/2 cups stone ground grits
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Method of Preparation as I did it on 12/16/2018:
- Grits: not his process as I made the grits per the box plus a healthy pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Shrimp: Sauteed bacon in a No. 8 CI skillet over medium-high heat and rendered until crispy.
- Added green onion and garlic. Sweat until vegetables are limp, about 30 seconds.
- Added thyme, mushrooms, and butter. Sauteed until wilted then added wine to deglaze the pan. Let cool while we visited with Peggy. [Not his sequence but what I did given the company and we could not eat.]
- Reheated CI skillet and added shrimp. Cooked until shrimp begin to turn pink, about 6 minutes.
- Served over warm grits.