July 24, 2016.
Cut eight new (red) potatoes into quarters. loaded into shallow alum pan sprayed with Pam, drizzled EVOO and rubbed it onto the quarters. Put on at 10:40 AM to top grate of MES that has been going for four hours with a pork shoulder and mesquite saw dust in the AMAZEN tray.
While cooking made Arron Franklin’s potato salad sauce with pickle and mustard.
- 2/3 cup mayo. His called for 1C.
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard. His called for 1/2 C.
- 3/8th cup or a little less than 1/2 cup chopped dill pickles His called for 3/4C.
- 1T dill pickle juice. That is what he called for for 2 lbs. of potatoes.
- 2t black pepper. His called for 1T.
- a little less than 1t kosher salt. His called for 1t.
After 2 hours at about 265 removed them and they were still a little underdone in the centers but had a great light brown color on the while exposed areas. Those areas are a little tough but not thick so can be chewed ok. Mary zapped them for about 4 minutes. Cut the potato quarters into normal size chucks. Assembled the ingredients and added Arron’s sauce while the potatoes were still hot.
As left overs, the potatoes are a bit too firm and it lost its pickle zing in the sauce. The smokiness had disappeared and all total it is a bit disappointing.
Next time the potatoes need first to be rubbed well with EVOO before smoking to, hopefully prevent the surface from becoming tough. Use the SS deep pan with holes in the bottom to let the heat through so they cook quicker. Then smoke until done–almost falling apart. Then add more mustard maybe by adding ground mustard and more black pepper.