11/8/2021 – We had the new REC TEC going for Butt pieces and a pile of nice size poblano peppers from the garden. Found a good-sounding recipe by Malcolm Reed and used it as a go-by. They turned out very nice but could have been a little hotter.
Tiberon Poblano Peppers from the garden. About 10 cut in half from stem to tip to make 20 stuffed peppers.
1 pound Ground Beef
¼ pound South Alabama Speciality Meets’ Hot Sausage
½ red onion diced
1 pint of Mushrooms diced
½ cup of shredded Mexican blend Cheese
4 sandwich-sliced pepper jack cheese squares
1 bunch of Flat Leaf Parsley
4 cloves of fresh garlic minced
1 cup rice
1 cup of tomato/poblano relish made a few days ago
Note – Struck-out items were in Malcolm’s recipe.
What we did.
- Cut the peppers in half, remove the stems and seeds.
- Dice the onions.
- Brown the ground beef and sausage that had been removed from the casing and cube. The sausage cubes fell apart and that was good. Seasoned the meat with salt and pepper adding the onion and garlic. Once brown remove the grease.
- Combine the meat, tomato relish and cheese in a large bowl.
- Stuff the peppers by filling each Pepper cavity with the stuffing level with the top.
- Smoke in the REC TEC at 225° for 75 minutes.
Original Recipe – Just before the peppers are done, top with shredded cheese. As soon as the cheese melts, the stuffed peppers are ready to take off the cooker and serve.