For this recipe Mary (I) reviewed about 6 or 8 recipes from the Food Network ap and then just went with what we had on hand.
Preheat oven to 350
Yellow Squash – I had 5 medium sized, sliced
Zucchini – 2 large – sliced
2 to 3 tbl of butter depending on the amount of squash
2 strips of bacon – I had thick sliced pecan smoked
1 medium to large onion
3 pods of garlic – minced
red pepper flakes – to taste
1/2 cup sour cream – again this depends on the amount of squash
1/2 cup le Greuyere cheese – again depends on taste and amount of squash
1/2 cup of Asiago cheese
salt and pepper – to taste
1 can of fried onion – Used for toppers of casseroles unless Kelley is around and then they are all eaten as snacks and there are none for the dish.
- In a large skillet saute the onion and bacon till the onion begins to be translucent. The bacon should be cooked but not crisp.
- Add butter and red pepper flakes till butter is melted.
- Add squash and garlic. Stir occasionally to mix the onions and bacon with the squash. Cook until squash is slightly soft.
- Pour everything from the skillet into a large bowl. Immediately fold in the sour cream, salt & pepper and cheeses.
- Pour this into a greased baking dish. Top with the onions and bake for 20 minutes (depending on the amount you have made) – I turned it off once it started bubbling. It sat in the heated oven until Tom got home.
Man was it good. Lots of leftovers which were awesome.