This was with the Better Boy tomatoes from the fall garden. All had been picked over the past week. We culled out the few with soft spots and holes. They made 5 quarts. We followed the Ball instructions here.
- Boiled about 8? deep water in our ols shrimp boiling tall pot. Using the 6? frying-wire ladle we set 4-6 tomatoes into the boiling water and pulled them out when the skins began to split. Place them immediately into cold water with ice cubes.
- Mary removed the skins, cut out the stems, and quartered them into a colander over the blue enameled stockpot to catch the liquid. Little drained out like it had in 2020 when the tomatoes were not as nice as these.
- Sanitized the jars and lids in boiling water in the large SS canning pot that now has the canning wire rack to hold the glass jars off the bottom.
- Packed the pieces into the jars pressing them down and sliding a spreading spatula down the sides to release any air pockets. We did not need to add hot water as the Ball recipe recommended if necessary as the jars were filled with pulp and liquid from the tomatoes. Added 1/2 teaspoon of Ball Citric Acid in each quart jar on top of the tomatoes. Installed the sanitized seals and the rings snuggly.
- Put them into the canner with the hot boiling water. Once it came to a very slow boil we set the timer to 45 minutes and let it bubble along.
- When the 45 minutes was up the jars were removed to cool on the plastic cutting boards. All five sealed.