12/24/2022 – This soup turned out great and we liked it a little bit better than the potato soup made yesterday. This seemed heartier. It was inspired by the recipe here.
1 pound bulk Spicy sausage from Alabama Specialty Meats
Pinch red pepper flakes from the garden
4 slices bacon, cut into ½-inch pieces
1 large onion, diced
4 smallish garlic finger chopped
2 16 oz. boxes of chicken broth
4 medium and 2 large red potatoes, large eyes and blemishes removed then thinly sliced
1 cup sour creme
Garnish with fresh sliced _______________
- Cook the crumbled sausage and red pepper flakes in a Dutch oven with olive oil over medium-high heat until crumbly, browned, and no longer pink, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Cook bacon in the same Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain, leaving a few tablespoons of drippings with the bacon in the bottom of the Dutch oven. Stir in onions and garlic; cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Add potatoes and simmer until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium; stir in cream, cooked sausage, and spinach. Cook and stir until ______ has wilted and sausage is warmed through;
- Serve with green onions as the garnish.