3/23/2020 – We have a lot of Early Jersey Wakefield cabbage so making kraut in the large briner tub that is food grade and is built to hold the meat down in the brine and that plate will do the same for the cabbage. What we prepared was based on the amount of grated carrot left from yesterday’s preparation.
- Carrot – 636 gm left from yesterday
- Cabbage at 7:1 so 7 x 636 = 4,452 gm
- Canning salt at 1.7% of 636+4452 = 87.5 gm
- Lemon at 1 tbsp per 900 gms = 6 tbsp
- Dill seed at 1 gm per 400 grams cabbage+carrots = 12 gms
Mary mixed in the carrots, dill seed, and salt as I chopped the cabbages and dumped them into the bucket. Once it was all there she mixed it well with her hands. Surprisingly, it began collapsing almost immediately.
Based on the amount made yesterday, almost 2,800 gms, that correctly filled 2 half-gallon jars, we should have 3.6 jars if it packs the same fermented as it did when fresh. But, we will not be beating it down with the mallet…we do not think…so wait and see.