1/11/2020 – This is our second ferment with our bok choy and mustard greens from the garden with store-bought cauliflower. The first ferment was great so we did not change much. This time we added the Diakon Radishes from the garden as there is a lot of them. We used the same level of cayenne flakes from our garden; i.e. 2 teaspoons per quart.
A fierce storm front was blowing through while we made this.
- 2 quarts Bok Choy, chopped into 1-1/2″ strips
- 2 quarts Mustard Greens, chopped into 1-1/2″ strips
- 2 quarts Cauliflower, broken into small chunks
- 2 quarts of Diakon Radish roots chopped into bite-size pieces.
- 3 cups Carrot, cut into 1/4? thick coins
- 1 cup of Garlic cloves rough chopped
- 2 tsp/Qt. cayenne pepper flakes from our garden
- 6% Brine
- In the 1/2 gallon jars, Mary put in 2 rounded teaspoons of cayenne flakes to the bottom of the jar and the 2nd to the top.
- Added the ingredients in layers beginning with bok choy.
- As we had finished a jar of the original ferment and had brine left, Mary put 3 tablespoons in each 1/2-gallon jar and 2 in the 1-quart jar.
- Mixed a 6% brine and filled them to the shoulder.
- Made three 1/2-gallon jars and one quart.