This preparation was inspired by the recipe at Southern Living Magazine here. What we did to make four pints was:
- Sanitized jars in boiling water. Sanitized lids in the water near boiling.
- Pack Jars with fresh okra with stem ends trimmed off. Fill and leave 1/2 inch of headspace. While filling add:
- 1/2 green jalapeno cut in half. Place one 1/4 slice on each side of the jar,
- 2 garlic cloves, each cut in half and
- 1 level tsp. of dill seeds in the bottom of each jar and 1 in the top.
- Bring 4 cups white vinegar, 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and 4 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour over okra, filling to 1/2 inch from the top. This made twice as much as needed for 4 pints.
- Place jars, covered by at least 1″ of simmering water, in the canner. Bring water to a rolling boil for 10 minutes.
- Cool and store