11/12/2019 – Tomorrow morning will be hard freeze and kill our winter squash so we picked the Acorn, Butternut, and Spaghetti squash and some blossoms. They turned out better than we expected and will try them again. The batter was especially good. Of all the recipes and instructions on the net, we liked the one here and it inspired this our first ever attempt at frying squash blossoms.
- 6 Squash blossoms
- Shredded Italian cheese – [she used a cube of mozzarella that we did not have]
- 2-4 capers in each blossom
- The batter:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- Removed the stamens from the blossoms.
- pushed a big pinch of shredded cheese to the bottom.
- added 2-4 capers.
- topped with more cheese.
- Twisted the petals to close it. Added a little water and then the petals stayed wrapped.
- Coated them with the batter.
- Fried them in 3/4″ of hot oil.
- Once the blossoms were fried, used a spoon to drop in the remaining batter into the oil to make fritters.