Chicken Banh Mi
To make this Vietnamese-style sandwich, we quickly pickle carrots and cucumber in lime juice and fish sauce and season a rotisserie chicken with the same flavors. Sriracha mayonnaise gives the sandwich a spicy kick.
2 carrots, peeled and shredded on the large holes of a box grater
½ cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced thin
1 teaspoon grated lime zest plus 5 tablespoons juice (3 limes)
¼ cup fish sauce
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1 (2 1/2-pound) rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded, meat shredded into bite-size pieces (3 cups)
½ cup mayonnaise
5 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
4 (8-inch) sub rolls, split lengthwise and toasted
½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, and
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce in bowl and let sit for 15 minutes.
- remaining 3 tablespoons lime juice, and
- remaining 3 tablespoons fish sauce in large bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add chicken and toss to coat.
- Whisk mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime zest together in separate bowl.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture on roll bottoms.
- Divide chicken mixture among rolls and top with:
- pickled vegetables (leaving liquid in bowl),